RMC

....<....>.............<........ posting below .´
¡¡¡¡¡ >.,"": *& £££ £££ £££ ££

Saturday, September 22, 2007

9.21.07: Portland, Oregon: Roseland Theater

After smashing my glasses on Jimmy Kimmel, I had some things to take care the days following, not to mention that I busted an upright string in Boise; strings are so expensive for double basses, about $25 per string; so, roughly, about $100 for a set of strings. Fortunately, I had some time to accomplish many things while in Portland.

First, I searched in Portland for strings, but they were $170 a set; thankfully, my friend in Nashville sent me some for a great price. Second, I found some frames for $10 at this rock-n-roll type store on Hawthorne street. Third, I got my eye exam; it had been two years, and finally, I went to a great doctor, who I invited to the show, but he was actually going to see the Smashing Pumpkins that night. After getting my prescription, I placed an order at Lenscrafters, and they had my new glasses within two hours. I kicked around the mall on a Friday night before the show. I hadn't hung out in a mall in a long time. It made me not want to have kids, to say the least, well not to have teenagers.

After 8pm, I headed back to the venue just in time to get changed and watch the last song of Eisley. They were great, and the crowd was really energetic for them, too. Portland has consistently been one of the best cities for us over the past year and half. The fans are just crazy and ready for a good time. I think this has been one of the best shows of this tour, next to Vancouver.


Portland, OR : Roseland : picture by Doug Sassaman.


Digg!




8 comments:

Loretta said...

Doug is grinning about you posting his pic. Thanks for giving m'baby credit!

Vancouver. . . .you guys ROCKED IT there and Portland the fans were cRaZZZZZZZZZY!!!!! I am STILL tired and recovering!!! :-)
I guess it's because I am so devoted and Washington's number ONE MuteMath fan!! ;-)

Or as Roby calls me. . . FanFriendLo.

Next time. . . I may just stay close to home and see you here, unless of course Maria MAKES me come up there again, because she Canada's number ONE MuteMath fan, then Chad comes in at number TWO!!

Anonymous said...

>>"I hadn't hung out in a mall in a long time. It made me not want to have kids, to say the least, well not to have teenagers. "

Hahaha.... :D
Hopefully, Boston was at least #3? :) Ok, ok, you can make your own list. I'll learn to deal.

Anonymous said...

ya don't have kids cause then you won't be able to tour as much either!! haha
I'm not having kids so I can keep following MM around on the tours :)

Portland fans ROCKED! How I wish I could have been in the front with them. Of all the shows I had to choose this one to "work". I'll send you pictures.
There are over 600 and I've edited them down to 250. Lots of great ones with your new glasses and upright!

THANKS for coming to Vancouver! That was THE BEST show we have seen. We'll work on the fans so next time it would just be us going nuts!!

Melanie said...

So glad to hear that you were treated well in Portland! :) And I'm glad to hear that you were able to get your glasses and strings taken care of. Both very important things.

As for kids... you learn more from having kids than just about anything else in life. I think you feel more: you laugh more and you cry more. At 17, you do rather want to put them in a box and close the lid. But it doesn't last forever. I think there are a lot of things about God I understand just a little more because I was a parent.

Whether you have kids or not, things happen in their own time, hopefully as they are supposed to one way or another. And I'm not suggesting everyone has to or should have kids actually.

Besides, I always just say my dogs are like toddlers with teeth. LOL Look how loveable they are. ;) Sorry... stepping off soap box now. LOL Am I taking this way too seriously? ;) Don't let the kids at the mall scare ya too bad. LOL

Anyway, I hope Salt Lake City shows you plenty of love. I'm hoping to be in the front doing my part... when I don't have the camera in front of my face.

--Melanie

Bertman316 said...

"...after smashing my glasses on Jimmy Kimmel..."
Roy! - I had no idea you could get that violent. What did Kimmel do to get you so mad?

Anonymous said...

Great job Friday night! You guys keep getting better and better each time you come through town. Seriously - my brother and I were just in awe the whole show. Glad you were able to bring the upright this time around.

I still remember the first MM show in Portland in Feb 2006 on the small downstairs stage in the Roseland. The album had just been released and it was just a great small, intimate show (although my wife doesn't look back on it as fondly...something to do with getting hit in the head with the keytar - lol, I told it is an honor). Anyway, it was just cool to look at the huge crowds Friday as see how freakin' big you guys have become. You guys definitely deserve it. From the Earthsuit stuff to the new, unreleased songs, it just all amazes me.

By the way, thank you for posting all the bass lessons! I used to run a website called Christian Guitar Network and wrote tabs and lessons, and I always loved when musicians took time out of their busy schedules and posted tabs and/or lessons. Now if only Greg could make some video lessons for us geetar players. :)

My only complaint is that Portland didn't get to hear "Voice in the Silence". Although, I can't complain too much because "Clockwork" was awesome.

Switchfootprincess said...

Wow, I'm really glad you guys are doing well over there! :D

Anonymous said...

Hey man, I just wanted to say thanks for getting out of the bus and signing my stuff. I'm glad you guys put effort into interacting with fans. I was the guy in the red shirt that kept calling you out of the bus, btw.

So I watched some of your bass lessons and my suspicions were confirmed in that you're a pretty dang good bass player. Kudos. I'm all about tasteful bass. It was pretty much "Obsolete" that got roped me into Mute Math.


Vintage cab used on MM debut (two 15" Jensen speakers).