RMC

....<....>.............<........ posting below .´
¡¡¡¡¡ >.,"": *& £££ £££ £££ ££

Tuesday, February 05, 2008

2.1.08 -2.4.08: Chicago to St. Paul

2.1.08: Chicago: Sears Centre: I brought out my skateboard, not so much to skate but to cart stuff around; however, I couldn't resist to get on the board to see if I could pull off any tricks, but I quickly learned that melted snow and skating don't mix. I slipped off in no time, landing straight on my bum. Anyway, I think I'll stick to using it to wheel my mini-studio around; we don't want any broken wrists on this tour. So long are my skating days. By the way, skateboarding is not a crime.

2.2.08: Detroit: Palace of Auburn Hills: Probably the best crowd of the tour so far. We had them on their feet clapping and shouting by the end of "Break the Same." It's a good feeling when we are able to connect with people that have no clue who we are. We've been going out after Alanis' set to talk with people and meet new faces. It's been fun and interesting to connect with these new fans. We also had the coolest dressing room ever in the history of MM: from hot sauna to whirlpool, it was insane. Thanks Pistons. If that wasn't enough, the guys hung out with Alanis a bit (I unfortunately was busy and didn't know about until it was too late), and later that night, MB20 invited us to their dressing room to hang out; they are truly down to earth, genuine guys, and we had a great time with them.

2.3.08: Superbowl: Thank God NY won.

2.4.08: St. Paul, MN: Xcel Energy Center: This was a historic day for me and MM. Why? Well, after the show (which was a little strange from the stage perspective, but later seemed very nice when we talked to fans out near the merch), we headed out to 1st Ave and watched DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist live. If that wasn't enough, Steve (our FOH engineer and mate of Shadow) got us back stage to meet the two maestros. DJ Shadow has been a huge influence on MM. He is one of our heroes. I learned how to sample and program by listening to his records. To this day, I listen to much of his work to gain perspective and compare his stuff against my tracks; that is, I want my stuff to sound as close as possible to his; well, that is the lofty goal at least. So, needless to say, we were in awe. Unfortunately, we didn't get a picture, but this encounter will always last in my mind. This memory is engraved. What a beautiful surprise and wonderful day this was.


Digg!




8 comments:

Melanie said...

LOL, yea, I don't imagine melting snow and skateboards go well together. Somehow I can't picture you on a skateboard. Personally, I'd probably kill myself on one. Glad nothing was broken.

Sometimes I think my husband and I are the only two people who didn't care about the Superbowl. LOL

It sounds like things are going well. Good to hear. :)

--Melanie

Kvon said...

Yes! Skateboarding for life! So you have to tell me what kind of skate you have. I hope its old school. I have broken many bones on four wheels. I still love it... although I admit that I have learned fear in my older age. What are you using for a portable recording studio?

Elliot said...

I can't believe you met DJ Shadow and Cut Chemist! Must've been a dream come true for you guys. Incredible! Super jealous.

Anonymous said...

I just want to say how amazing it is that you are getting these videos up. I know alot of the modes already, but it is much better learning from Roy than my teachers in the past. Could you PLEEEEAASE make a video on how you play obsolete. I have been trying to learn it for some time, but i can't get it to sound as good as i would like. Thanks again

Quiet Entertainer said...

DJ SHADOW! You met DJ SHADOW!!

AHHHHHH!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hey Roy

I met you at the detroit and we talked about this blog so just wanted to leave you a comment and let you know...how helpful this blog is even for drummer...

Whats your favorite Dj Shadow song?

Anonymous said...

hey man, maybe sometime soon you could perhaps (when you get time) put a tips and tricks video up about sampling?... Ive been using reason 4.0 for a few months now, and I still just can't get the hang of working with slices

Anonymous said...

Howdy Roy. Nice blog going on here. I don't mean to be picky, but if you get some time is it possible to post a video blog and play the bass line of Reset? That one is a pain to figure out, because it's difficult to hear all the notes going on.

(I also just started studying music formally, I'm doing a TAFE course here in Melbourne, it's practically like University, but a few minor differences, this course seems the best even out of the Uni courses, and it's fantastic so far)


Vintage cab used on MM debut (two 15" Jensen speakers).