RMC

RMC
Summer 2016: The Forum, Los Angeles, CA (photo by David Tosti)
....<....>.............<........ posting below .´
¡¡¡¡¡ >.,"": *& £££ £££ £££ ££

Friday, January 18, 2008

1.18.08: Joining in on the fun

Several days ago, I checked out the latest youtube videos with tags "Mute Math," and found the first "play along" bass video. I was flattered. I'd seen others on drums and keytar and whole bands, but none on bass. Goulet22 does a nice job, and actually adds some things that I don't play in the verses, which I liked. Check it out below:



After watching this, I knew I had to make a video showing my approach to the song. I finally got around to it. (It was done very quickly. If it appears that I'm mad or bored, I'm not. I couldn't hear very well because I had to mix the bass up loud enough over the music, which made it hard to hear the drums-my main source of groove in Mute Math.) See below:



Here is the "Control" bass part alone, broken down:




Here's a video not concerning bass, but I get a kick out of it:



Tomorrow, we shoot the video for "Control." Wish us well!


Digg!




16 comments:

demilu said...

here i am 2 hrs. from nashville wishing i could be at this video shoot tomorrow. i hope it goes well! and hey, the bass part for control happens to be near the tip top of my list of favorites.

Jes said...

you're the best. seriously. i love it.

Elisha said...

Good luck with the shoot...

I think it's pretty awesome that you pay that much attention to your fans, for real. Thanks.

Kim B. said...

That beard takes you to a new level of awesome! Hope the video shoot was fun.

tigernut said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to break down the Control bass part and putting it out there for frustrated musicians like myself to learn from. Not many successful musicians would do something like that. It's very much appreciated!

Bertman316 said...

Looking forward to the video. Great 'new' look, by the way.
- Bert

Tyler said...

Hey Roy, if you read this, this is Goulet22. i'm in the band this comment in linked to. I REALLY appreciate the fact i got to be on this page. my friends didn't really believe me at first. that would be SO SICK man if you ever want to talk bass...goulet22@gmail.com. thanks bro PEACE
I LOVE MUTE MATH

Melanie said...

Hahaha.. I knew if Goulet22 saw this someone was going to be ecstatic. :) Nice work.

Sorry I didn't comment sooner, but I didn't have time to watch all of the videos until today. I completely love watching you play. You make it look effortless. And I don't think you look mad. You do look like you're concentrating.

--Melanie

Carlos said...

You are the COOLEST!!!! Could you ask Greg if he can do this for the guitarrists fans, it will be awesome!!!
Wish you all the best!!!!

Kevin Decker said...

You rock Roy! You guys are all so in touch. Question: Does Mute Math play with a Click track for the whole show? On Reset, during the drum / sampler break right after you hit that delayed out note, is there some sort of count? How does everyone stay locked in through that part? ...???
Thanks!
-kev

Jes said...

question: when you joined mutemath did you change this bass part up at all, or is this the same part we'll find on the ep?

i want to know the answers to kevin decker's questions too....

roy, you're the best.

Yannick said...

Digging the beard! You need to talk about some Fugazi. Missed ya the last couple of times you've been in Miami (Ft lauderdale) area. Hopefully we'll talk some more old school hardcore music next time. Keep up the good work with the blog.

Kevin Decker said...

yannick! Cool, another Fugazi fan!
-kev

Paul (UK) said...

Hey Roy, thanks greatly for doing this, makes it so much easier for us mere mortals to figure it out. One thing I noticed is that quite a few MM songs seem to be in flat/sharp keys (Control is either Db or C#) - any particular reason ?

Rob said...

Bro...You are one of my biggest musical influences...You Rock!!!

ryan said...

Love the chord usage here. If you haven't already heard of Lake Trout you should check them out. You might like it.


Vintage Cab I used on MM debut (this is my dad's); it has two 15" Jensen speakers.