RMC

RMC
Summer 2016: The Forum, Los Angeles, CA (photo by David Tosti)
....<....>.............<........ posting below .´
¡¡¡¡¡ >.,"": *& £££ £££ £££ ££

Thursday, July 12, 2007

Bass Lessons: Do People Really Want to Know the Truth?

I've been playing bass for 15 years now, and honestly, I never get bored of it. However, while taking a look at this video, I can see how beginners can become tired of this instrument quickly. The reason for this "beginner-boredom" is simply that practicing what really matters for bassists can be monotonous, tedious, and down-right exhausting. (Maybe it's not a coincidence I went to law school!)

Anyway, fear not because these type of exercises will help you become a better bass player so long as you take the time to build up a solid foundation.





1=first finger, 2=middle finger, 3=ring finger, 4=pinky

Use one finger per fret, and play these combination, starting on the 5th fret:

1234 1243 1324 1342 1423 1432
2134 2143 2314 2341 2413 2431
3124 3142 3214 3241 3412 3421
4123 4132 4213 4231 4312 4321







7 comments:

Richard Soliz said...

Wow! You're the first person I've seen (Besides myself) that actually warms up with "The Spider". It's a great warm up that really pays off in the long run. Pay attention, Mr. Roy knows his stuff.

Melanie said...

Wow... I think I need the super beginner version. That didn't look so simple to me. LOL You make it look so easy. Maybe sometime I'll find a bass and see if I can do this or not. It's kind of hard to imagine.

I think this is really cool, though.

Loretta said...

How ironic you would make mention of John Patitucci. . . .

All week, I've been on a listening marathon of an ambient CD I have and John Patitucci is playing bass. . . I can't seem to listen to anything else right now. It's everywhere. . . in the car, on the computer, on my ipod, while I am cleaning, relaxing, sorting, organizing. . . and it definitely is better with ipod.

John is an AMAZING bassist. . . it's also wonderful to know that he loves the LORD.

Great work on the videos. I am very excited to know that you are pursuing your love of teaching and encouraging others with the gift you have.

Y ai que chula. . . I could see one of you girls beside you.

Bertman316 said...

One of my prize possessions is a 1981 album by an obscure Christian group called Tamarack. They had a very jazzy sound and had recorded some stuff that was way outside the box for the day. The bass player was none other than John Pattitucci!! As far as I know, they produced only one project.

Bertman316 said...

One of my prize possessions is a 1981 album by an obscure Christian group called Tamarack. They had a very jazzy sound and had recorded some stuff that was way outside the box for the day. The bass player was none other than John Pattitucci!! As far as I know, they produced only one project.

Kevin Decker said...

I am really dig'n this warm up.
Thanks

Loretta said...

So it's been less than 24 hours since you left Seattle and David has come over and taken Doug's bass with him. He doesn't play bass. But I have to wonder if he is going to be taking some bass lessons con Señor Roy.

9/24/07


Vintage Cab I used on MM debut (this is my dad's); it has two 15" Jensen speakers.