RMC

RMC
Summer 2016: The Forum, Los Angeles, CA (photo by David Tosti)
....<....>.............<........ posting below .´
¡¡¡¡¡ >.,"": *& £££ £££ £££ ££

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Bass Lesson: Roundwound vs Flatwound Strings

I get asked a lot of questions while on the road with Mute Math, mainly regarding bass and bass playing. Instead of answering every person individually, I decided to put up these videos. I've created a lot of them; so stay tuned to see what's coming next. Eventually, they will compile to be a whole course on bass playing and a practice guide for bass players of all levels. Literally, in some of the videos, I'm just going through my practice routine; so, feel free to join in.

Overall, I hope these videos have answered some questions that have been floating out there, and hopefully, they have been somewhat entertaining, even though that is difficult to due when teaching bass.

Thanks for checking it out.

Before I get to the video, I wanted to recommend a great book that helped me and continues to help me. It's Rufus Reid's The Evolving Bassist.
Rufus Reid
I found this book at my first and last convention (at Rice University) for The International Society for Bassists. That was an amazing convention. I saw so many wonderful performances, from Rufus Reid to Ray Brown. It was quite a treat. Anyway, check it out:



In this video, I describe the differences between using Roundwound and Flatwound bass string. This opinion will vary from player to player, but this is my take on how I approach the issue.






2 comments:

Loretta said...

This looks great!
I love the revisions w/the links attached.

Y el nombre del blog. . . ¡Es bueno!

Kim B. said...

Haha, when I first read the title of this one, I thought it said "Roundworms vs. Flatworms"

The hazard of reading things past 9pm.


Vintage Cab I used on MM debut (this is my dad's); it has two 15" Jensen speakers.