RMC

RMC
Summer 2016: The Forum, Los Angeles, CA (photo by David Tosti)
....<....>.............<........ posting below .´
¡¡¡¡¡ >.,"": *& £££ £££ £££ ££

Saturday, July 21, 2007

Bass Lesson: Pick vs Fingers (updated)

Here's an exploration in the difference between using a pick and using your fingers to play electric bass. Some examples include the chorus to "Chaos" and vamp to "Reset."



UPDATE: Here's some questions sent by Kevin Decker:

"What type of pick are you using? Thick? Thin? Bass pick or guitar size pick? Are you using the stock fender pickups in your p-bass(s)? What model year(s) are your p-bass's?"

I use a heavy pick (Ernie Ball). My main P-Bass is a 1978 Fender, and I'm using the original pick-ups. I plan to make a video discussing all my basses and amps since this is not the first time I've been asked.

"One more question: Since you are frequently switching back and forth between fingers and pick during Mute Math shows... Where do you keep your picks for efficient access?"

Having a handy spot to keep picks when one doesn't have a lot of cash or hands on stage to help makes it for a tricky situation sometimes. Usually, if I'm changing from fingers to pick during a song, I keep the pick in my mouth. Yeah, I know, not the cleanest thing to do. Also, I usually have about three picks in my pant pocket or vest pocket in addition to the several picks I have on top of my amp. Maybe it's time I go get one of those pick liners for microphone stands, eh? Thanks.






2 comments:

Kevin Decker said...

What type of pick are you using? Thick? Thin? Bass pick or guitar size pick? Are you using the stock fender pickups in your p-bass(s)? What model year(s) are your p-bass's?
Thanks
kev
email: decks4@bresnan.net

kevin decker said...

One more question: Since you are frequently switching back and forth between fingers and pick during Mute Math shows... Where do you keep your picks for efficient access?
Thanks again,
Kev
email: decks4@bresnan.net


Vintage Cab I used on MM debut (this is my dad's); it has two 15" Jensen speakers.